[Beowulf] Large amounts of data to store and process

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 18:23:54 PDT 2019

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 05:28:42 +0000, you wrote:

>I think what I was getting at is why not include the current HPC practices to every day desktops in the sense since we are reaching certain limits and have to write code to take advantage of more and more cores. Why not use MPI and the like to help distribute the software side of things to the cores?

I suspect the simple answer is a combination of most of the software
running on desktops doesn't really need all those extra cores we are
now getting, and some of the more common desktop applications don't
really lend themselves to parallel processing anyway.

It's great that you can go out and get 32 core Threadripper and sit it
on your desk for an affordable price, but for 90% or more of the
market at least 28 of those cores would spend most of their life idle.