[Beowulf] Large amounts of data to store and process

Lux, Jim (337K) James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 5 14:38:48 PST 2019

Jim Lux
(818)354-2075 (office)
(818)395-2714 (cell)

-----Original Message-----
From: Beowulf [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On Behalf Of Joe Landman
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2019 6:32 AM
To: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Large amounts of data to store and process

On 3/4/19 8:00 PM, Lux, Jim (337K) via Beowulf wrote:
> I'm munging through not very much satellite telemetry (a few GByte), using sqlite3..
> Here's some general observations:
> 1) if the data is recorded by multiple sensor systems, the clocks will *not* align - sure they may run NTP, but....
> 2) Typically there's some sort of raw clock being recorded with the data (in ticks of some oscillator, typically) - that's what you can use to put data from a particular batch of sources into a time order.  And then you have the problem of reconciling the different clocks.
> 3) Watch out for leap seconds in time stamps - some systems have them (UTC), some do not (GPS, TAI) - a time of 23:59:60 may be legal.
> 4) you need to have a way to deal with "missing" data, whether it's time tags, or actual measurements - as well as "gaps in the record"
> 5) Be aware of the need to de-dupe data - same telemetry records from multiple sources.

Being satellite data, I am assuming you have relativistic corrections to the time, depending upon orbit, accuracy of the clock, data analysis needs, etc. . [1][2]

Missing data, of various types may be handled in data frame packages. R, Julia, and I think Python can all handle this without too much pain.

[1] https://gssc.esa.int/navipedia/index.php/Relativistic_Clock_Correction

[2] http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

--
No need to deal with relativity in these cases, but propagation delay, certainly.
Typically, the issue is reconciling multiple telemetry streams which have recording rates of <1000Hz, where the systems doing the recording do not have synchronized clocks.

A lot of spacecraft debugging is checking "did message A leave box B and arrive at box C", where Box B and Box C are timestamping the events.  So you look and see if you have a Sending Message A on the Box B log and a Receiving Message A on the Box C log, in the right order, and with the right delay - if Box B is on the Moon and Box C is on Earth, then one expects roughly a 1 second delay.

One would like to do operations like "give me the telemetry from 12:01:00Z to 12:03:00Z" but there might not be a GPS valid time in that range, so you have to estimate it from the local clock, an estimate of the clock rate, and a known GPS time hack outside that range. The challenge comes in where the boxes have clocks that run at different rates - 50 ppm error is 4 seconds/day.  Or multiple clocks (you might have a local clock and also a GPS, but the GPS doesn't always work).

There's probably a python library to handle this, but I've not found it yet.