[Beowulf] Large amounts of data to store and process

Fred Youhanaie fly at anydata.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 03:10:51 PST 2019

Hi Jonathan

I have used PostgreSQL for collecting data, but there's nothing there that would be of use to you!

A few years ago I set up a similar system (in a hurry) in a small company. The bulk data was compressed and it was made available to the applications via NFS (IPoIB). The applications were responsible
for decompressing and pre/post-processing the data. Later, one of the developers created a PostgreSQL based system to hold all the data, he used C++ for all the data handling. That system was never
used, even though all the historical data was loaded into the database!

Your choice of components is going to depend on how your analytics software are going to access the data. If the data are being read and processed once, then loading into a database, then querying it
once may not pay off.

Cheers,
Fred