[Beowulf] 2 starting questions on how I should proceed for a correct first micro-cluster (2-nodes) building

Renfro, Michael Renfro at tntech.edu
Sat Mar 2 17:15:03 PST 2019

Heterogeneous is possible, but the slower system will be a bottleneck if you have calculations that require both systems to work in parallel and synchronize with each other periodically. You might also find bottlenecks with your network interconnect, even on homogeneous systems.

I’ve never used ROCKS, and OSCAR doesn’t look to have been updated in a few years (maybe it doesn’t need to be). OpenHPC is a similar product, more recently updated. But except for the cluster I manage now, I always just just went with a base operating system for the nodes and added HPC libraries and services as required.