[Beowulf] Rsync - checksums

Ellis H. Wilson III ellis at ellisv3.com
Tue Jun 18 08:16:30 PDT 2019

On 6/18/19 11:00 AM, Bill Wichser wrote:
> Well thanks for THAT pointer!  Using --checksum-choice=none results in
> speedup of somewhere between 2-3 times.  That's my validation of the
> checksum theory things have been pointing towards.  Now to get xxhash
> into rsync and I think we are all set.

Glad to hear that improved things for you.  I will caution against using
a non-crypto hash for this though.  Unless you can verify xxhash offers
at least as much protection against collisions as MD5, you may not be
protecting your transfers sufficiently.  I haven't looked into xxhash
enough to offer advice on this.

If you're already using rsync as just a piece of a larger framework, it
really might be worth cooking up a script to md5sum the list in
files-from on both sides in parallel to use all of your cores on both
sides and then compare the results after the transfer.  Then you can
just use --checksum-choice=none but still know your data made it safely
to the other side.

Best,

ellis

--