[Beowulf] log_mtts_per_seg in mlx4 driver

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Tue Jul 9 13:44:42 PDT 2019

Read the source code/answered my own question. Likely bogus since 2012, confirmed at least in 3.10.0-957.21.3 — this was the relevant fix:

/*
         * We want to scale the number of MTTs with the size of the
         * system memory, since it makes sense to register a lot of
         * memory on a system with a lot of memory.  As a heuristic,
         * make sure we have enough MTTs to cover twice the system
         * memory (with PAGE_SIZE entries).
         *
         * This number has to be a power of two and fit into 32 bits
         * due to device limitations, so cap this at 2^31 as well.
         * That limits us to 8TB of memory registration per HCA with
         * 4KB pages, which is probably OK for the next few months.
         */
        si_meminfo(&si);
        request->num_mtt =
                roundup_pow_of_two(max_t(unsigned, request->num_mtt,
                                         min(1UL << (31 - log_mtts_per_seg),
                                             si.totalram >> (log_mtts_per_seg - 1))));