[Beowulf] A Cooler Cloud: A Clever Conduit Cuts Data Centers? Cooling Needs by 90 Percent

Eric Moore eemoore at fyndo.com
Fri Jan 25 11:26:28 PST 2019

Actually, it looks like Joule-Thompson cooling to me (Especially given the
"Joule Force" name). You've got the air intake (ambient), then an expansion
nozzle, into a low-pressure region, which is created by the fan at the end.
So the outlet velocity of the air (and thus it's kinetic energy) is higher
than the inlet velocity, which would lower the internal energy, and thus
the temperature. Instead the fins/nozzle/heatsink transfer heat to the
expanding gas, which exits a little above ambient temperature. I imagine
the drawback is you really need to get rid of that high velocity hot air,
and can't recirculate it, or the kinetic energy would be converted back to
thermal energy, and mess it all up. The descriptions do all involve the
exhaust air being ducted to the outside. This article has the most
technical detail:
https://www.nextplatform.com/2018/12/04/the-leading-edge-of-air-cooled-servers-leads-to-the-edge/