[Beowulf] Build Recommendations - Private Cluster

Richard Edwards ejb at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 20 22:47:29 PDT 2019

Hi Dmitri

Thanks for the response.

Yes old hardware but as I said it is for a personal cluster. I have also put M2070’s in one of the 1070 chases as they are basically 4 slot PCI expansions. I have various other M2050/M2070/M2090/K20x cards around so depending on time I can certainly get more bang than the C1060’s that are in there now. I am prepared to live with the pain of older drivers, potentially having to use older linux distributions and not being able to support much beyond CUDA 2.0...

Yes I could go out and purchase probably a couple of newer cards and get the same performance or better but this is more about the exercise and the learning.

So maybe the hardware list was a distraction. What are people using as the predominant distro and management tools?

cheers

Richard