[Beowulf] software for activating one of many programs but not the others?

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Tue Aug 20 16:01:12 PDT 2019

On 2019-08-20 13:33, David Mathog wrote:
> Turns out EasyBuild has many of the software packages in question, so
> EasyBuild+Lmod looks like the winner here.

Easybuild - simple to use - not very quick though.

   scl enable devtoolset-7 'eb Jellyfish-1.1.12-foss-2018b.eb --robot'

has been running for half an hour already.  The devtoolset was a waste
of keystrokes - it insists on using every single tool from its
foss-2018b collection, even though near equivalents exist, some of which
are older than what is on the system.  (ie flex 2.6.4b vs. 2.5.37-6, a
complete copy of python 2.7 instead of the one already present, gcc
7.3.0 instead of the existing 7.3.1).  That build is closing in on 6 Gb
even though a "native" Centos 7 build of Jellyfish is only 26.7Mb.  When
Easybuild finishes its jellyfish binaries will probably be the same
size.

Anyway,  yet another example of "portability by duplicating most of an
OS". Very unclear to me if "foss-2018b" is any better than Centos 7 +
devtoolset-7, but the latter isn't an Easybuild option.

Thank goodness we don't have this philosophy for cars, can you imagine?
You leave a Corolla to have an aftermarket stereo installed and come
back to find most of a Camry bolted to the roof!

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu