[Beowulf] software for activating one of many programs but not the others?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Tue Aug 20 13:38:03 PDT 2019

Hi David

As Ryan and other said,
you don't need to install everything in /usr/local or similar.
You can make a separate location to install the packages,
install them (using configure --prefix) in directories named after the
package name, version,
and perhaps the compiler and version used, (say,
/sw/openmpi/4.0.1/gnu/4.8.5/).

You can then use the traditional
Environment Modules (Tcl based) http://modules.sourceforge.net/
or the newer Lmod (Lua based) https://lmod.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
to set the environment properly
(i.e., prepending or appending to PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, INCLUDE, MANPATH,
etc),
pointing to the bin, lib, include, etc, subdirectories of your software
installation directory
(say, /sw/openmpi/4.0.1/gnu/4.8.5/{bin,lib,include,man, ...}
There are prototype modules available out there,
to help you get started writing them for your installation.
On CentOS 7 environment-modules is available from the base repository, and
Lmod is available from epel.
Or you can install the latest from the links above.

Users can even create their own modules, to load the software of their
choice.
Modules support requisites and conflicts.
Properly written modules produce a clean unique envirnoment for each
different purpose.
Switching between different environments is also easy.

As Chris and others said, you can also use EasyBuild to streamline the
configure/make/install procedure
https://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html ,
but manual installs are perfectly fine.

I hope this helps,