[Beowulf] Beowulf in the news

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 03:11:55 PDT 2019

*scratches chin*.

When I was a boy :)  We used to drive HDs of video across Java on motor
scooters for the same reason - bandwidth. Engagemedia even built a system
of localised pods and "sneaker nets" so the videos could be "browsed
online" when actually just being cached on locally installed servers.

While I'd take flying to Japan every day now, riding across Indonesia was
out little indy version of that treat.

I wonder if it will ever stop being effective on that top edge of data
size/distance. Happy to put my hand up for a trip out to Mars to pick up
their big data if anyone is looking.

L.

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 at 08:58, Chris Samuel <chris at csamuel.org> wrote:

> On 17/4/19 4:14 pm, Lux, Jim (337K) via Beowulf wrote:
>
> > In other news, I note that the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) used the
> > well known (to beowulf list members)  “station wagon full of disk
> > drives” approach to high bandwidth, high latency data comm.  This
> > technique does have significant history in the VLBI field (station wagon
> > full of digital or analog tapes).  The effective data rate from the
> > telescope in Hawaii to MIT was 112 Gbps (700TB of data in 50,400
> seconds).
>
> Same trick the pulsar astronomers at Swinburne used to do with Apple
> Xserve RAID boxes taking empty drives from Melbourne to Parkes and
> returning with full drives with data.  These days they have connectivity
> out to the dish thankfully!
>
> This also had an application in HEP in Australia when it was cheaper to
> fly someone to Japan to the KEK collider to recover data on tape than it
> was to ship it over the 'net back to Australian researchers.
>
> All the best,
> Chris
> --
>   Chris Samuel  :  http://www.csamuel.org/  :  Berkeley, CA, USA

------
"The fact that you're still saying something like 'feminism gone mad'
suggests that feminism hasn't gone mad ENOUGH yet."

Helen Zaltzman / @HelenZaltzman
https://twitter.com/HelenZaltzman/status/1065384934846545920