[Beowulf] Oh.. IBM eats Red Hat

Joe Landman joe.landman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 07:55:15 PDT 2018

On 10/30/18 10:46 AM, Prentice Bisbal via Beowulf wrote:
> TIL: A lot of you old-timers are really salty about systemd. ;)

Some parts I like (integrated restart).

Some parts are terrible (integrated restart).

I especially like it when a dependency is in the slightly wrong order
and it takes forever to boot/shutdown.

Systemd is much like the RH anaconda/kickstart installer.  It is best to
spend as little time under its control as possible.  To postpone much
startup and shutdown stuff to scripting outside of systemd's control.
Gee, just like init of days of old.

I've had to learn its ins and outs over the last few years, and while it
improves some things, it makes a complete hash of others.  Its highly
opinionated, and seeks to impose its opinion whenever possible.
Thankfully, some of its opinions can be (for now) controlled via
/etc/systemd/*.conf scripts.

I'll paraphrase Churchill here:  Systemd is the worst, except for all
the rest.

--
Joe Landman
e: joe.landman at gmail.com