[Beowulf] Oh.. IBM eats Red Hat

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 05:43:01 PDT 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 11:58:18 -0400, you wrote:

>The downside to (most) of the stable distros are the aging compilers,
>languages, and libraries.  RH ships with 4.9.x, Debian 9.x ships with
>6.3.x.  You can easily install gcc7 and gcc8 in debian.  Its a little
>harder for pre-built rpms in RH (and its never a good idea to replace
>distro required packages with updated ones ... always use a separate
>tree, or a container).

Red Hat provides a parallel installable set of compilers that are
reasonably up to date, and the collection even includes languages that
weren't around (or barely around) when Red Hat 7 was released like Go
and Rust.

https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2018/04/06/new-red-hat-compilers-in-beta-clang-llvm-gcc-go-rust/

>Python 2.x is dead, 3.x should be used/shipped everywhere.

Even Fedora is still working to try and kill Python 2.x, blame Python
of mishandling the transition and allowing Python 2.x to last for so
long that is failed to encourage devlopers to port their code to
Python 3.x

But the bigger problem is that for whatever reason Red Hat is late in
getting Red Hat 8 out the door - it was just under 4 years between Red
Hat 6.0 and Red Hat 7.0

It is now 4.5 years since the release of RHEL7 and we still don't even
have a beta of 8, and no indication that a beta will be anytime soon.