[Beowulf] Poll - Directory implementation

Christopher Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Wed Oct 24 16:14:12 PDT 2018

On 25/10/18 3:42 am, Tom Harvill wrote:

> - what directory solution do you implement?
> - if LDAP, which flavor?
> - do you have any opinions one way or another on the topic?

At VLSCI we originally ran 389-DS multi-master with an LDAP server on
each cluster management node plus another one on the system running the
user management portal for the users.

Later I think we moved to a single central master with read-only
replicas for reasons that escape me now.

Everything talked to at least 2 LDAP servers (compute nodes had their
management node plus one other).

We went with 389-DS because that's what VPAC was using when I moved to
VLSCI and we needed to get operational quickly.  At some point after
that VPAC then moved to OpenLDAP for reasons unknown.

Generally if it ain't broke don't fix it. You need to have compelling
reasons to introduce change, otherwise you end up with "Move quickly and
break things!" rapidly followed by "Why is everything always broken and
awful?"

All the best,
Chris