[Beowulf] If I were specifying a new custer...

Lachlan Musicman datakid at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 14:55:48 PDT 2018

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 02:32, Andrew Latham <lathama at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know a lot of organizations that are further building out their walled
> gardens and securing the interaction with the Internet instead of acting on
> the Spectre/Vulndejour by switching vendor.
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 9:43 AM Douglas Eadline <deadline at eadline.org>
> wrote:
>

>> In general, how much has the Spectere/meltdown issue and Intel
>> Fab issue effected your decisions of Intel vs AMD?

Yes, we don't buy hardware often enough to warrant taking an action like
that. But we always know that our security could do with more work, and
took it as an opportunity to do so. By which I mean we invested more
resources, but also successfully used the Spectre spectre on our management
as evidence that security needed more resources.

Which is always nice.

Cheers
L.

------
'...postwork futures are dismissed with the claim that "it is not in our
nature to be idle", thereby demonstrating at once an essentialist view of
labor and an impoverished imagination of the possibilities of nonwork.'

Kathi Weeks, *The Problem with Work: Feminism, Marxism, Antiwork Politics
and Postwork Imaginaries*
<https://www.dukeupress.edu/The-Problem-with-Work/>