[Beowulf] HPC workflows

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 28 00:03:08 PST 2018

> * - note the HPC isn't unique in this regard.  The Linux distributions
> are facing their own version of this, where much of the software is no
> longer packagable in the traditional sense as it instead relies on
> language specific packaging systems and languages that don't lend
> themselves to the older rpm/deb style system.

Gerald, very well said. The term in the UK At the moment would be
'friction'. On-premise HPC has to be frictionless as cloud HPC.

 Note that I referred to Julia, which has a packaging system.
The Julia community has given a lot of thought to the packaging system for
1.0 and it has concepts such as environments different projects.

I hate to single out Python, but have experience of users using Anaconda
which means a huge variation in what everyone has.
And more importantly for HPC systems the packages are placed in the users
home directory (by default).
On the system I am thinking about there was very limited space on /home and
it was an NFS mount. MEaning any parallel program startup would
pull lots of data from NFS.