[Beowulf] Clearing out scratch space

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 12 07:25:04 PDT 2018

> Disclaimer: I work for one such parallel and fast (and often used for
scratch) company called Panasas.
Ellis, I know Panasas well of course.  You are a great bunch of guys and
girls, and have pulled my chestnuts from the fire many times (such as the
plaintive call from the customer - we can't access our data. What are all
these red lights for - wwe have seen them for weeks. Me - puts in call to
800-PANASAS immediately)
Having been there on my hands and knees installing Panasas systems for UK
Government defence customers.
Installed Panasas in Formula 1 where it had a dramatic effect on our solver
times.
Also installing the largest Panasas setup in the world at the UK Rutherford
Appleton Laboratory, which is being used for lcimate resarch (JASMIN).
Been there, seen it, unboxed hundreds of blades.

>Culling through piles of likely mechanically named files you haven't
looked at in a long time is difficult as a human exercise, and without
sufficiently complex media asset management it's also difficult from a
storage perspective > > as your data may take a /long/ time to even list,
much less grep through, when pulling from true archive storage.

Excellent point.  In Formula 1 I made a serious study of Architeca
Mediaflux for this very purpose (or rather the SGI rebadge)
http://www.arcitecta.com/Products
We finally did not implement it.
I recall being asked to put terabytes of wind tunnel data on our system,
which consisted of thousands of high resolution frames grabs. In reality
no-one was ever going to look at that data again.

Regarding information lifecycle management, may I go back a long way to
data acquisition at CERN. My epxeriment, and in the other experiments of
that generation, stored data on round magnetic tapes.
We knew that there was a limited capacity to keep data long term. So raw
data was quickly filtered within the detector. Full readots were kept, but
quickly distilled into compact 'Data Summary Tapes'
For instance, verices would be reconstructed into tracks and the track
information kept on the DST. OK, that meant that the full data set coul
dnever be re-analyzed in that level of detail,
but the important aspects for the physics are stored long term.