[Beowulf] OT, X11 editor which works well for very remote systems

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 7 23:48:00 PDT 2018

> VNC takes over the console on the remote machine.  What if somebody else
is using that, or there isn't one (headless server)?

David, are you sure about that?
I did at lot of work in F1 on VNC to workstations... as I remember VNC
sessions are not on the 'root window' by default.

I did a lot of work in conjunction with NICE and their DCV product in order
to configure 'takeover' mode with VNC.
The use case here is that you are sitting at your desk, in front of the
screen and keyboard during the working day.
In X parlance this is the 'root window'. You want to go home to see your
loved ones at some stage. However you do not want to log out from your
workstation.
When you get home you fir up your laptop, connect into the corporate
network and start a VNC session - on the root window, so you just unlock
the screen and continue.

Not really as easy as it sounds, the NICE guys have got that packaged up.