[Beowulf] OT, X11 editor which works well for very remote systems?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Jun 7 08:02:18 PDT 2018

On 7 Jun 2018, at 03:14, James Cuff <jcuff at nextplatform.com<mailto:jcuff at nextplatform.com>> wrote:

I miss SGI jot. It had this super strange GL offload to the client that I’ve never seen since.

http://rainbow.ldeo.columbia.edu/documentation/sgi-faq/apps/6.html

You’re a very bad man, Cuff.  Jot, and everything else written with IrisGL, was an abomination.  I still have nightmares about ANSIG, an interactive program for assigning 4D NMR spectra, which was written more than 20 years ago in FORTRAN77 and IrisGL.  Chances of porting to anything other than IRIX:  Zero.  [ Idly wonders what those folks use these days ]

We really need to find a solid way to do this whole remote GUI work.

https://2018.isc-program.com/?page_id=10&id=wksp122&sess=sess279

Makes me think.  1st workshop. Can’t ever be the first time this question has been asked. Also David, absolutely not OT. Very much on topic.

I think X11 was a fairly good idea, in theory, for how to deal with this problem.  The implementation may have left something to be desired, I suppose.

In practice I virtually never use X11 any more.  I use probably two X11 applications, both of them once in a blue moon.  One of them is a local legacy program about to be replaced by a web app, and the other is gitk.

I long since stopped using graphical editors on Linux.  I’ve toyed with them on MacOS since.

Tim

--
 The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research