[Beowulf] OT, X11 editor which works well for very remote systems?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.com.pl
Wed Jun 6 16:09:31 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jun 06, 2018 at 02:28:03PM -0700, David Mathog wrote:
> Off Topic.
>
> I need to do some work on a system 3000 miles away.  No problem
> connecting to it with ssh or setting X11 forwarding, but the delays
> are such that my usual editor (nedit) spends far too much time
> redrawing to be useful.  Resizing a screen is particularly painful.

I have not used it but description sounds somewhat credible (other
packages for Emacs worked when I used them):

 [ http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/ ]

An overview of TRAMP

TRAMP is for transparently accessing remote files from within
Emacs. TRAMP enables an easy, convenient, and consistent interface to
remote files as if they are local files. TRAMP’s transparency extends
to editing, version control, and dired.

TRAMP can access remote hosts using any number of access methods, such
as rsh, rlogin, telnet, and related programs. If these programs can
successfully pass ASCII characters, TRAMP can use them. TRAMP does not
require or mandate 8-bit clean connections.

TRAMP’s most common access method is through ssh, a more secure
alternative to ftp and other older access methods.

TRAMP on MS Windows operating systems is integrated with the PuTTY
package, and uses the plink program.

etc. etc.

HTH

--