[Beowulf] Project Natick

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 6 05:16:57 PDT 2018

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44368813

https://natick.research.microsoft.com/

I must admit my first thoughts on hearing an item about this on Radio
Scotland is that now that humans have laid waste to the surface of the
Earth we are going to boil the oceans.
My second thought is for the poor HPC engineer who will have to be equipped
with a wetsuit and fins to do maintenance.

Actually looks like Microsoft have very sensibly filled the thing with a
dried nitrogen gas, which makes a lot of sense. And it is supposed to be
maintenance free, I would imagine any degraded servers will just be
switched off.

Prof Ian Bitterlin says "You just end up with a warmer sea and bigger fish,"
I have told the tale on here before about the town I grew up in which had a
huge Singer factory. The factory had its own power station which discharged
hot water into the local canal. The canal was famous for having foot long
goldfish.