[Beowulf] Theoretical vs. Actual Performance

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Thu Feb 22 06:37:54 PST 2018

Beowulfers,

In your experience, how close does actual performance of your processors
match up to their theoretical performance? I'm investigating a
performances issue on some of my nodes. These are older systems using
AMD Opteron 6274 processors. I found literature from AMD stating the
theoretical performance of these processors is 282 GFLOPS, and my
LINPACK performance isn't coming close to that (I get approximately ~33%
of that).  The number I often hear mentioned is actual performance
should be ~85%. of theoretical performance is that a realistic number
your experience?

I don't want this to be a discussion of what could be wrong at this
point, we will get to that in future posts, I assure you!

--
Prentice