[Beowulf] Storage Best Practices

Adam DeConinck ajdecon at ajdecon.org
Mon Feb 19 13:06:31 PST 2018

The best success I've seen is a mix of strategies: some amount storage
that's considered "permanent" with aggressive quota limits (per user
or per project), plus a larger no-quota space that's cleaned up based
on some retention policy. I've used this basic scheme in small
environments, and also seen it used successfully in large institutions
(where I was not directly responsible for storage).

That said, there's no way to make everyone happy with this -- people
will complain when a file is deleted unexpectedly, or when they hit
their quota, or both. Time-based retention policies that work by
automatically checking file modification time also invite users to
write "touch" scripts to try to fool the cleaner. It can turn into a
fun game. But I've also used these kinds of policies to justify new
storage purchases, and make users into allies in funding them.

On a lighter note, this is a good excuse for me to link my favorite
James Cuff post ;-) -
http://blog.jcuff.net/2011/12/cautionary-tale-about-storage-and.html

Cheers,
Adam