[Beowulf] Fortran is Awesome

Lux, Jim (337K) James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 3 17:25:41 PST 2018

My daughter took the CS101 class at her liberal arts college and it was Java.

Maybe that’s because it’s an employable skill – An enormous amount of day to day business software development is in Java.

As an Art History major, it’s not like she needs multidimensional arrays.  Good, bombproof string manipulation for her Latin grammar/translator project was more useful.   So Fortran and C are not big winners in that application development space. Java, Python, Basic would all have served adequately.

Jim Lux
(818)354-2075 (office)
(818)395-2714 (cell)