[Beowulf] HPC workflows

Gerald Henriksen ghenriks at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 07:09:19 PST 2018

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 06:43:05 +0100, you wrote:

>My own thoughts on HPC for a tightly coupled, on premise setup is that we
>need a lightweight OS on the nodes, which does the bare minimum. No general
>purpose utilities, no GUIS, nothing but network and storage. And container
>support.

One of the latest attempts at this is Fedora CoreOS, the merger of
Fedora Atomic and CoreOS (which Red Hat bought).

https://coreos.fedoraproject.org/

>The cluster will have the normal login nodes of course but will present
>itself as a 'black box' to run containers.
>But - given my herd analogy above - will we see that? Or will we see
>private Openstack setups?

Maybe, Red Hat appears to be moving in that direction as well with a
Red Hat CoreOS offering with OpenShift though how it all ends up is
yet to be seen I suspect.