[Beowulf] RHEL7 kernel update for L1TF vulnerability breaks RDMA

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Tue Aug 21 01:35:56 PDT 2018

On Tuesday, 21 August 2018 3:27:59 AM AEST Lux, Jim (337K) wrote:

> I'd find it hard to believe that Intel's CPU designers sat around
> implementing deliberate flaws ( the Bosch engine controller for VW model).

Not to mention that Spectre variants affected AMD, ARM & IBM (at least).

This publicly NSA funded research ("The Intel 80x86 processor architecture:
pitfalls for secure systems") from 1995 has an interesting section:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/398934/
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2209/42809262c17b6631c0f6536c91aaf7756857.pdf

Section 3.10 - Cache and TLB timing channels

which warns (in generalities) about the use of MSRs and the use of instruction
timing as side channels.

All the best,
Chris