[Beowulf] What is rdma, ofed, verbs, psm etc?

Christopher Samuel samuel at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Sep 19 16:54:28 PDT 2017

Great explanations Peter.

On 20/09/17 02:24, Peter Kjellström wrote:

> ofed: a software distribution of network drivers, libraries,
> utilities typically used by users/applications to run on Infiniband
> (and other networks supported by ofed).

To expand on that slightly, this also includes (to add to the acronym
soup) RoCE - RDMA over Converged Ethernet - in other words using
Ethernet networks (with appropriate switches) to do the sort of RDMA
that you can do over Infiniband.

This is important as unlike Infiniband you can't do RoCE out of the box
with something like RHEL7 (at least in the experience of the folks I'm
helping out here).

cheers,
Chris
 Melbourne Bioinformatics - The University of Melbourne