[Beowulf] slow mpi init/finalize

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Mon Oct 16 04:16:12 PDT 2017

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:12:02 -0400
Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i'm seeing issues on a mellanox fdr10 cluster where the mpi setup and
> teardown takes longer then i expect it should on larger rank count
> jobs.  i'm only trying to run ~1000 ranks and the startup time is over
> a minute.  i tested this with both openmpi and intel mpi, both exhibit
> close to the same behavior.

First, that performance is not expected nor good. It should be sub 1s
for 1000 ranks or so YMMV...

One possibility is that you got some slow and/or flaky tcp/ip/eth
involved somehow.

Another is that your MPIs tried to use rdmacm and that in turn tried to
use ibacm which, if incorrectly setup, times out after ~1m. You can
verify ibacm functionality by running for example:

user at n1 $ ib_acme -d n2
user at n1 $

This should be near instant if ibacm works as it should.

If you use IntelMPI (and by default then dapl). Edit your dat.conf or
manually select the ucm dapl provider. This is fast and does not use
rdmacm.

Good luck,
 Peter K