[Beowulf] Suggestions to what DFS to use

Douglas O'Flaherty douglasof at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 06:55:09 PST 2017

A couple of things I see in this thread:

1. Metadata performance!  A lot of bioinformatics code uses metadata
searches. Anyone doing these kinds of workloads should tune/spec for
metadata separately from data storage. In Spectrum Scale there is a choice
of dedicated, fully distributed or partially distributed metadata. Most bio
houses I know choose to through really good flash dedicated to the
metadata.
Not familiar with the options for BeeFS, but do know superior distributed
metadata performance was a key target for the Fraunhofer team. Sounds like
they are hitting it. My limited history with Ceph & Gluster suggests they
could not support bioinformatic metadata requirements. It wasn't they were
built to do.

2. Small files!  Small file performance is undoubtedly a big gain in IBM
dev from GPFS v 3.x to IBM Spectrum Scale 4.x - Don't compare the old
performance with the new. Spectrum Scale look into the client side caching
for reads and/or writes. A local SSD could be a great boon for performance.
There are lots of tuning options for Scale/GPFS. Small file performance and
simplified install were also target for BeeFS when they started development.

3. Spectrum Scale (GPFS) is absolutely fundamental to IBM. There is a lot
of focus now on making it easier to adopt & tune. IBM dev has delivered new
GUI, monitoring, troubleshooting, performance counters, parameterization of
tuning in the last 18 months.

4. IBM Spectrum Scale does differentiate with multi-cluster, tiered storage
support, migrate data to cloud by policy, HDFS support, etc.  These may be
overkill for a lot of this mailing list, but really useful in shared
settings.

Sorry about the guy with the suit. IBM also has a good set of Scale/GPFS
people who don't own ties. Passing along your feedback on the client
license costs to guys with ties.

doug