[Beowulf] slow jobs when run through queue

Nick Evans nick.c.evans at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 16:44:24 PST 2017

HI All,

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar problem or thoughts
on how they would try and track down the problem.

Queue = PBS / Moab combination

We have found that if we submit a job to the queue then it takes a long
time to process. ie. >4 hours
If we are to run the exact same processing directly on the compute node
then it is significantly faster < 1 hour.

We have tried with a number of different variations on the environment
variables / local and remote scratch disk and can't seem to find any reason
for the difference between submitting the jobs and just running the job on
the compute resource.

Any hints / recommendations appreciated

Thanks
Nick