[Beowulf] How to know if infiniband network works?

Gus Correa gus at ldeo.columbia.edu
Wed Aug 2 09:58:07 PDT 2017

Hi Faraz

1) lsmod | grep ib should show if the Infinband kernel modules are loaded.

2) Infinband normally uses remote DMA (rdma) through "verbs".
You should see an "ib" module with "verbs" in the name.
That is the preferred/faster mode for MPI.

3) However, you can also use Infinband for TCP/IP (slower).
As the output of your ifconfig shows, your ib0 interface is
also configured for TCP/IP.

4) You may have two interfaces (one card with two or two cards) in the
nodes. One may not be connected to a switch (ib1). Check the back of
your nodes.

5) To check if MPI is using it, depends a bit on which MPI library
you're using.
Which one? Open MPI, MVAPICH2, some vendor/proprietary one?
If it is Open MPI the command "ompi-info" will tell.
With Open MPI there are also ways to enable/disable
Infiniband at runtime.

6) Some Infinband diagnostics may also help (normally in /usr/sbin)

ibstat
ibhosts
ibnetdiscover

etc

OK, this is my pedestrian view of Infinband.
Now let's hear the experts in the list for deeper insights. :)

I hope this helps,
Gus Correa