[Beowulf] Roger Smith - Mississippi State

Joey Jones joey at HPC.MsState.Edu
Mon Nov 21 09:12:24 PST 2016

Those of you that attended SC16 in Salt Lake City, UT and visited the
Mississippi State University booth know that our colleague and long-time
SC exhibitor Roger Smith passed away in October. Jeff Layton suggested
that I notify those of you who did not visit the booth or were not in
attendance at SC16.

Shortly after SC15 Roger was diagnosed with Stage-IV Pancreatic cancer.
He did participate in a clinical trial for the disease and the early
outlook was favorable.  However, after six months of success in fighting
the disease, complications limited his participation in the trial and he
ultimately lost the fight;  he passed away at home on Thursday, 6 October 2016.

Roger was a great mentor, friend and well-known in the HPC community. He
will be sorely missed.

Thank you to everyone that stopped by our booth to offer condolences.

-Joey