[Beowulf] cluster os

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Fri May 20 03:50:28 PDT 2016

Hi Jonathan,

the only thing I am compiling from source are the HPC programs we are using
and also some of the HPC libraries. I want to get the best out of the system
and hence I decided to do it this way. Also, some HPC programs are simply only
available as source code. So depending how often there is an upgrade of the
program and how it is distributed (source or binary) I do the upgrades.

The libraries I usually do once. In particular I don't upgrade say ATLAS, fftw3
etc until I upgrade the whole cluster.

I hope that helps a bit.

All the best from London

Jörg