[Beowulf] cluster os

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Thu May 19 12:51:00 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 06:20:37AM +0200, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> I am just wondering what distribution of choice would one use for their
> cluster? Would one go for a source based distro like gentoo or a
> precompiled one like Centos7?

I have argued for Debian in the past, but this has pretty much been a Red Hat / Red Hat derived
field for many years ever since Extreme Linux.

A lot of server manufacturers use Red Hat / CentOS as a very stable base and build extra drivers
for their hardware accordingly.

"Proper" HPC as much as Beowulf "done on the cheap" tends to use Red Hat and CentOS throughout.
Having said all of the above, the Sanger Institute, among others, use Debian and derivatives.

More widespread use of ARM / MIPS processors if this happens may change the dynamic

All the best,

AndyC