[Beowulf] cluster os

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Thu May 19 03:44:00 PDT 2016

Dear Jonathan,

here at UCL we are running a number of different distros as it looks like.

I am using Debian for my clusters now for the last 5 years or so without any
problems. In fact, I have upgraded from Debain etch up to jessie, the latest,
over the time and I never had any real issues. Of course I had to recompile
the HPC code which is not part of the distribution but that is something you
have to do anyway. The clusters are running stable without any issues
regarding OS (i.e. not hardware failures).
The upgrade in Debian is working really well. You really can install a machine
once and then you can upgrade it to the latest OS without much issues. You
might need to do some minor tweaks when things are changing, like going from
NFS3 to NFS4, but that is in the nature of the upgrade.
This experience seems to be in stark difference from the OS upgrade on the
central cluster (RedHat) where the cluster needed to be installed from
scratch. At least that was my understanding.

A source based one like Gentoo might be good for a desktop but with a Cluster
you don't want to spent all the time in compiling the OS. You do want to spent
time to make sure the HPC programs are running with the best efficiency you can
get. Thus, I rather spent time into compiling a proper BLAS instead of
spending time to optimise say gcc.

Thus, I would recommend a package based distribution and not a source based
one and I would recommend Debian as the distro of choice here.

My two pennies from London. :-)

Jörg

On Thursday 19 May 2016 09:08:22 remy. dernat wrote:
> Hi,
> If you need certified things like drivers or whatever (IB...), choose
> redhat-like. Otherwise, IMHO debian-like is a betteer choice.
> Gentoo could be use for development, or test purpose. I do not think it is
> really a good choice. Cheers.
>

> Envoyé depuis mon appareil Samsung

Dr. Jörg Saßmannshausen, MRSC
University College London