[Beowulf] [OT] acoustic engineers around?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Mon Mar 14 11:53:53 PDT 2016

On 03/14/2016 02:36 PM, C Bergström wrote:
> This is the smartest list I subscribe to - I'm not sure if anyone has
> the knowledge/time, but I'm trying to solve a general problem.
> ------------
> Moving condos and new location is *very* noise sensitive. I feel
> fairly confident I can spam absorbent material as needed to reduce the
> db from high frequency sound going out the door, but bass is going to
> be more of a challenge.
>
> My crazy ideas
>
> #1 Raise the subs 1-1.5 meter off the ground and decouple them from the floor
> #2 Put some highly dense material directly under the subs.
> #3 low pass filter so only dealing with 80Hz and not even more
> problematic lower frequencies

Not an acoustic engineer, so ... use lots of salt with this reply.

I've used (in the dim/distant past) things like this to support my
speakers: http://www.amazon.com/10-Solid-Rubber-Stopper/dp/B00BTMWV8W

Good decoupling from the ground, and anti-slip too.

This said, I've not had good speakers in like 25+ years

> I'm a little fuzzy on the details of if subwoofers typically produce a
> directional sound and or if it depends on the box.
>
> "bass traps" appear to be more marketing hype than actually
> functionally useful for my case.
>
> (lowering the volume to the subs and adding "buttkickers" is an
> option, but that's more for fun and less about sound quality/general
> problem)
> My walls are at least 150mm thick concrete fwiw.

Look at "sound proofing" wall tile or similar.  Not aesthetically
pleasing in most cases, but solves some set of problems.

150mm thick concrete?  Solid or cinderblock?