[Beowulf] Pretty Big Data

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 25 13:42:29 PST 2016

SSDs have substantially slower latency/access time than DRAM /SRAM (microseconds vs nanoseconds). It's true that if you're doing sequential  or well structured reads you might be able to get it faster, and the same is true of spinning drives.

And if you do *any* writes (or erases, which are even slower), then your SSD/Flash memory is really going to have a big throughput hit.

I think the original thought is that for some set of problems, a brute force keep it all in RAM approach is as good, if not better, than anything more sophisticated, if you're starting to put development/test/etc costs.

As hardware evolves, though, a lot of the "more sophisticated" will get buried in the hardware. Very few people explicitly manage the wear leveling and error detection and correction in Flash memory, for example.  They leave it to some ASIC that does it for you (at a substantial cost in power, as it happens).  Just as spinning drives these days provide an abstracted interface, so you're not managing blocks, tracks, and cylinders.

What's interesting is that although people have built them over the years, there doesn't seem to be a persistent demand for "smart file storage" that is hardware based (e.g. something that would do indexed or hashed file data retrieval).