[Beowulf] CentOS 7.x for cluster nodes ?

Andrew Mather mathera at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:29:06 PST 2016

Thanks for this Lachlan and thanks for the reminder....

Sorry, should also have mentioned, we use NFS for /usr/local, for /home and
for our shared data area /group.  Our scratch is local and in most cases,
jobs copy their datasets across before starting.  The time cost of that
operation is really just a rounding error in the job runtimes in most cases.

Cluster uses Torque/Moab for queue/resource management and scheduling.

Andrew

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Lachlan Musicman <datakid at gmail.com> wrote:

> We use Centos 7.2 exclusively in our cluster (SLURM, 12 Nodes going up to
> 40 in the new year) and it works a treat. Same set up as you, but with some
> shared NFS mounts. Systemd is fine - a few more keystrokes, but not the end
> of the world.
>
> Very happy
>
> cheers
> L.
>
> ------
> The most dangerous phrase in the language is, "We've always done it this
> way."
>
> - Grace Hopper
>
> On 30 December 2016 at 17:12, Andrew Mather <mathera at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Hope you're having/had time to relax and unwind with those near and dear.
>>
>> We are in the very early planning stages for our next cluster and I'm
>> currently looking at the OS.  We're a CentOS shop and planning to stay that
>> way for the forseeable future, so please, no partisan OS wars :)
>>
>> When v7 of the Redhat-based OS' appeared, the change to systemd in
>> particular, seemed to attract a lot of hate, but since it's been out a
>> while, there doesn't seem to be as much.
>>
>> So, has anyone got recent war-stories, good experiences etc to share
>> about v7 of CentOS specifically as the OS for cluster nodes.
>>
>> We don't have infiniband interconnects and don't use MPI, shared memory
>> and the like.  All our jobs stay within the confines of the nodes and we
>> have a variety of hardware configurations to accommodate different types of
>> job (RAM, disk requirements etc)
>>
>> I'd welcome any info.
>>
>> Thanks and hope 2017 is kind for you.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

>> --
>> -
>>  https://picasaweb.google.com/107747436224613508618

-
 https://picasaweb.google.com/107747436224613508618
"Voting is a lot like going to Bunnings really:
You walk in confused, you stand in line, you have a sausage on the way out and
at the end, you wind up with a bunch of useless tools"
Joe Rios
-