[Beowulf] CentOS 7.x for cluster nodes ?

Andrew Mather mathera at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 22:12:01 PST 2016

Hi All,

Hope you're having/had time to relax and unwind with those near and dear.

We are in the very early planning stages for our next cluster and I'm
currently looking at the OS.  We're a CentOS shop and planning to stay that
way for the forseeable future, so please, no partisan OS wars :)

When v7 of the Redhat-based OS' appeared, the change to systemd in
particular, seemed to attract a lot of hate, but since it's been out a
while, there doesn't seem to be as much.

So, has anyone got recent war-stories, good experiences etc to share about
v7 of CentOS specifically as the OS for cluster nodes.

We don't have infiniband interconnects and don't use MPI, shared memory and
the like.  All our jobs stay within the confines of the nodes and we have a
variety of hardware configurations to accommodate different types of job
(RAM, disk requirements etc)

I'd welcome any info.

Thanks and hope 2017 is kind for you.

Andrew