[Beowulf] Hyper Convergence Infrastructure

Joshua Mora joshua_mora at usa.net
Sat Oct 3 18:39:04 PDT 2015

Without giving specific names of technologies,
hypervisors can reduce around 5-10% the performance.
I tested linpack and stream and I got small reduction ~5%.
For networking: bandwidth about 5%, for latency about 10% reduction.
On hyperconverged, since data is replicated, the write performance is halved
if replication of 2. writes can be improved if caching is provided.
Wrong setups, specially drivers can really hurt network performance (>50% drop
performance)
Also numa awareness  pinning VMs is necessary if you care about memory
performance.
Same with NIC performance.
When doing migration it needs to be placed in another machine of exact same
configuration in terms of numa awareness in order to work.
On hyperconverged, pay attention to QoS.

Joshua