[Beowulf] Software installation across cluster

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue May 26 14:56:50 PDT 2015

Environment Modules (http://modules.sourceforge.net/) or the more modern
derivatives are pretty darn universal in cluster environments where a
shared filesystem can be used to host an application/tools tree. Do one
install and one module file and it's instantly available across the
cluster. Does a great job of allowing you to host and offer many
different versions/permutations of the same application.

After that you get less universal and odder more DIY setups. Some groups
will roll software into custom .rpm, .pkg or .deb packages depending on
their OS and will do all of their custom/internal software as binary
packages hosted on a central app repository server. Lots of hacks
involving passwordless SSH scripts run on remote nodes to replicate
files or dump/unpack a tarball representing a tool.

And finally the cool DevOps kids are using Puppet, Chef, SaltStack,
Ansible, Cfengine, etc. configuration management / orchestration
toolkits  -- those are often overkill for simple software installs but
they *excel* at maintaining and managing configuration states across
many different systems. If your entire cluster is Puppetized one could
easily come up with a puppet-based method for installing or managing the
installation of software

My $.02 of course