[Beowulf] NFS + IB?

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 11:08:00 PST 2015

On 22 February 2015 at 19:09, Jeffrey Layton <laytonjb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dell has been doing some really good things around NFS and IB using IPoIB.

IPoIB is just vanilla NFS and will work as normal but with lots of lovely
bandwidth. You still get the TCP overhead so latency and therefore random
IO performance is the same as ethernet.

NFSoRDMA is seriously sexy stuff and blazes small I/O. The testing I did
was on Centos 6.5 a year or so back and found it to be quite unstable. Lots
of exciting kernel panics and silent data corruption problems.

I think a lot of these problems have been rectified now but its still not
really "mainstream" so handle with care. An interesting way to test it is
by exporting a tmpfs although this may give you some weird artefacts here
and there as its quite an edge usecase for tmpfs.