[Beowulf] Glenn Lockwood's Thoughts on the NSF Future Directions Interim Report

Bogdan Costescu bcostescu at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 21:24:42 PST 2015

(sorry for the late reply)

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Michael Di Domenico
<mdidomenico4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> seems to me NFS needs to get back into building the HPC community of
> PEOPLE rather then building hero machines at six or seven
> installations across the us.

I very much agree that funding agencies (not only in the US!) should
invest in people. Most (all?) of the points listed by Glen would have
much better solutions if the systems people, the middleware developers
and end-software developer (and anything inbetween :)) would abound.
This is sadly not the case...

> However I'm a little concerned by what i perceive of his
> attitude towards stripping funding from centers that don't have the
> technical prowess to run an HPC resources.

(sorry for rearranging the paragraphs)
... and this would become a non-problem.

Cheers,
Bogdan