[Beowulf] HPC demonstrations

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 10 08:04:17 PST 2015

John,

I gave a similar talk last week to my local LOPSA chapter (League of
Professional System Administrators). Here's some suggestions:

1. NASA: A Years in the LIfe of Earth's CO2:
article on simulation: http://climate.nasa.gov/news/2190/
direct link to youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1SgmFa0r04

2. The Cardioid heart simulation (yes, another heart simulation!)
Here's a good video that explains everything about the simulation to
kids at a 'science on Saturday' event. You might be able to find shorter
clips or images elsewhere, but this video is a good overview for you to
watch if your not familiar with the project. It has some good
information on why we use simulations in the first place, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQIqLb9kYtA

3. Videos of molecular simulations are good, since it demonstrates
simulation something that we couldn't otherwise observe. A quick search
on Youtube showed many videos of this.

4. Nothing visual, but the the recent 'Blizzard of 2015' that never hit
many of the predicted targets of the United States' East Coast is a
perfect example of why we need HPC, and how it's costs can be justified.
Here's what happened.

Basically, the forecasts predicted that the Mid-Atlantic and New England
regions were going to get hard with snow. In the NJ/NYC area where I
live, they predicted 18"-24" of snow. Not sure what level of Armageddon
was predicted for the areas outside of my news broadcast area. As a
result, states of emergency were declared in NJ/NYC and the surrounding
areas, shutting down EVERYTHING.Let me re-iterate that: EVERYTHING in
the NYC metro area was shut down This started the evening before the
storm was supposed to hit. My local utility company brought something
like 400 line crews in from the mid-west to help with the after-storm
clean up, since it was predicted that many power lines would come down
from the blizzard. The university where I work, which has over 50,000
students and employs over 10,000, cancelled classes and closed for
business.

The NYC metro-area is the largest economy in the US, and is probably
bigger than the economy of many countries, and through the financial
center of NYC has a huge effect on the global economy.

What happened with the storm? Most of the NJ/NYC area only 1-2 inches of
snow, and the 50 MPH winds that were predicted never happened. In fact
my area got in increased wind at all. In other words, it was hardly
worth shutting anything down for. Eastern Long Island and north (Boston,
etc.) got hit hard, but the NYC metro area was hardly touched.

So, what did this shutdowns cost the businesses and governments that
were supposed to get hit hard? I'd bet the cost in list income, revenue,
overtime for government workers, etc, was in the billions just in NYC
metro alone, not considering Philly, DC, etc. that might have taken
similar actions unnecessarily. How much would better computers cost that
run more accurate simulations to avoid gaffs like this? Tens of millions
of dollars? Hundreds of millions? Even if it is hundreds of millions, it
would still be a savings for the local governments and businesses when
you think about it.

Prentice Bisbal
Manager of Information Technology
Rutgers Discovery Informatics Institute (RDI2)
Rutgers University
http://rdi2.rutgers.edu