[Beowulf] disabling swap on cluster nodes?

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Fri Feb 6 15:02:12 PST 2015

It makes perfect sense. My BG/P nodes don't swap and only have 512
MB/core. But before I do it myself, I want to see if anyone else did
this with negative effects.

Truly diskless nodes would have to be swapless, but a lot of people use
'diskless' to mean no OS installed locally, but there's still a disk in
the node for local scratch or swap.

I did some googling searching this afternoon, and I saw a lot of people
recommending it for HPC nodes, but it sounded like they were talking
based on theory rather than actual practice which is why I'm looking for
actual practitioners.

One person already replied off list and says he does this without any
issues.

Prentice