[Beowulf] Haswell as supercomputer microprocessors

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 4 07:52:00 PDT 2015

Seriously? Why does IBM have to make everything so difficult? Take GPFS.
It was originally called MMFS for Multimedia filesystem, then GPFS for
General Parallel Filesystem. A couple of years ago they decided to
market it as a hardware/software solution called GPFS Storage Server, or
GSS. Apparently, that didn't have enough buzzwordiness to it, so they
changed it to ESS, for Elastic Storage Server. As if that wasn't enough,
then they had to confuse their current and future customers by changing
the name yet again to Spectra-scale. And yes, I am annoyed by all this!

What's really ironic is that IBM is one of the leaders brand
management/corporate identity, so you'd think they'd see the value in
sticking with a name.

Rant over.

Prentice