[Beowulf] strange problem with large file moving between server

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 15:17:43 PDT 2014

Hi Dimitris

thanks for the feedback.

I can rule out the front end as I was using that with a different disc array
without any problems. So I am somewhat confident that the front end and the
controller are ok.

As for the disc array: I got a new controller here so one would assume that
one is working ok. I am in touch with the manufacturer to see if there is a
problem with that.

I done some stress testing in terms of copying the files over from the old
server to the new server and I did not see any problems here when I was using
a test board, i.e. a different front end with a different controller.

Having said that: I cannot really rule out that the controller I am currently
using might have a problem as: it is a dual controller (two scsi connections)
and one of the boxes which was connected there had a slower transfer rate.
What I do not know is whether then the controller is stepping down and hence
any problems will be masked due to the slower transfer rate.

Unfortunately, like so often, the hardware is in use and needed so I cannot
take it offline too often and then hamper people's work.

Talking about memtest: which one do you suggest? memtest or memtester? I have
heard different opinions about them.

All the best from a mild London

Jörg