[Beowulf] Gentoo in the HPC environment

Jonathan Aquilina jaquilina at eagleeyet.net
Sat Jun 28 12:45:13 PDT 2014

>From what I have seen you will see noticable improvements in terms of
performance as the applications are tailor made and optimized for the
hardware. I can give you a two examples. On a xen based vps running
gentoo, granted i have no website or anything on there just mysql and
apache. the memory foot print is around 62mb out of 2G.

Another example is my gentoo laptop with a fully fledged kde installation.
Ubuntu with its unoptimized packages minimum needs 2G. Gentoo minimum
logged into the desktop with nothing running 420mb of ram.

I see considerable differences. I am looking forward to putting some
content to host there, but I am working on some additional hardening
features at the kernel level such as SEL, grsec and PAX.

Regards