[Beowulf] Small files

Skylar Thompson skylar.thompson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 05:15:17 PDT 2014

On 06/13/2014 01:37 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:
> I¹ve always advocated using the file system as a database: in the sense of
> ³lots of little files, one for each data blob², where ³data blob² is
> bigger than a few bytes, but perhaps in the hundreds/thousands of bytes or
> larger.
>
> 1) Rather than spend time implementing some sort of database, the file
> system is already there
> 2) The file system is likely optimized better for whatever platform it is
> running. It runs ³closer to the metal², and hopefully is tightly
> integrated with things like cacheing, and operating system tricks.
> 3) The file system is optimized for allocation and deallocation of space,
> so I don¹t have to write that, or hope that my ³database engine of choice²
> does it right.
> 4) backup and restore of parts of the data is straightforward without
> needing any special utilities(e.g. File timestamp gives mod dates, etc.)

This works well for local access, and even OK over something like NFS
for a single node's access, but for distributed access cache
invalidation (especially for metadata) gets to be a serious problem. I
work with a lot of people who write a workflow for their desktop/laptop,
then try running it successfully with a single process on a cluster.
When they try running it with hundreds of processes distributed across
many nodes, they're confused when it all falls apart.

Backup/restore can be complicated too, depending on the storage
technology. Many storage vendors assume that NDMP is the end-all for
backup technology, and provide nothing but that. My view is that NDMP is
a scam setup by storage vendors to get people to buy more storage, but
that's a discussion for another thread...

Skylar