[Beowulf] Small files

Brian Dobbins bdobbins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 11:23:29 PDT 2014

Just a quick addition to this thread (for now), here's the presentation I
think Killian refers to:
http://www.opensfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/D2_S16_PLFSandLustrePerformanceComparison.pdf

And here's *all* the slides from LUG 2014:
http://opensfs.org/lug-2014-presos/

Some of them are incredibly informative, and I have high hopes for some of
the future changes referenced in Andreas Dilger's presentation (
http://opensfs.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/D1_S9_LustreFutureFeatures.pdf
) - specifically, I think the combination of DNE (phase 1 & 2) and small
files on MDTs should help immensely with both IOPS and overall throughput
on those sorts of small-file workloads.

Cheers,
  - Brian